Monday, January 12, 2009

I Guess I Can't Be in Denial Anymore...

I officially hit the two weeks mark until I leave for Rwanda as part of the first Peace Corps group in the country since 1993, so I guess it is time for my first post. I first found out I was headed to Rwanda in June (yes June...LONG before I was scheduled to leave and completely unusual for the Peace Corps) and thought it was possible this day might never come. Originally, the program was slated to leave on December 5th, which was then pushed back to January 16th, and now I leave for DC on January 26th. After several days of staging, I will fly from DC to Brussels to Kigali. Eventually, I will be training in Butare, the intellectual capital of Rwanda and home of the National University of Rwanda.

So what am I going to be doing for the next 27 months in Rwanda? Good question. For now, what I know:

Program: Health, HIV/AIDS, Organizational Capacity Development
Job Title: Public Health Education Advisor

Not so much, huh? I do know that I will be learning a new language (Kinyarwanda), living a new culture, and embedding myself as completely as possible within my new community. Clearly I am going to gain more than I could ever give.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Em,
    So what would I bring if I was going to pack again? Definitely not a ton of toiletries (not necessary - if they have all of the above in Moz, then they def have it in Rwanda). Do bring lots of sunscreen because they do not sell that here and the PCMO only gives the crappy oily kind. Also bring special skin products like exfoliator and pimple cream. I don´t have to tell you this, but bring your regular cute clothes (outdoorsy clothes are not necessary). Bring speakers for your I-pod. Bring US $0.94 stamps. Don´t bring a phone and try to get it unlocked in Africa. If you want to bring a phone, get it unlocked in the states. Don´t follow the PC 80lbs. rule for luggage. It is 50lbs. per bag. Be careful about your carry on though. Some airlines do weigh those and charge you $100 USD to check it. Oh, don´t bring a ton of tamps because they say they won´t give them to you but they will. Only bring like 40 or whatev. Bring toenail polish and a pummis stone. Bring all new flip flops because mine are already wornout. Bring a flash drive so you can excahnge music, pictures, etc... Bring sports bras b/c even if you don´t wear them in the States, you will in Africa. Don´t bring any kind of frying pan or other pans. Just bring one or two good kitchen knifes and maybe a sharpener. Bring notecards to help with language if you use them. Make sure you lock all of your bags (I know a lot of people who had things stolen in transit). Random, but I probably would have brought a teeth whitening kit to use at the 6 mo point. Buy the 30 day/night contacts. They saved my life. I haven´t worn my glasses once. Don´t let anyone tell you not to bring designer jeans. I brought two pairs and have not regretted it once. Oh yeah and better quality clothes will withstand the beating from handwashing better. Bring a lot of beaters/cute sleeveless tops. You are closer to the equator than I am and I sweat like crazy here. You have my trainer for health, Caroline. She is amazing and I already told her about you. Work your magic and be safe! If you have any questions just email me and I will be able to get right back to you (I have email at work!!)
    p.s. I am coming to visit, so you had better buy something that I can sleep on (haha, but seriously)
    xoxo, S

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I will gain more than I could ever give" HAHA your so nerdy! Just kidding tweeds. I love you! Keep the blogs coming - when I find internet (as in ride a motto for two hours to find it because unlike Sarah I don't have it at work or in my district for that matter) I will post annoying comments! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay emily! already super proud of you! xoxo moe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do we get a blog post before you leave the states tomorrow!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I met you when you came to Georgia and think it's very cool that you're in the Peace Corps. It was something I always wanted to do but was too chicken to take the plunge. Take care and have a safe journey. :)

    ReplyDelete